Can the new MacBook handle iMovie?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dagdagdag234, Mar 13, 2015.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Just curious -- I have a 2014 11" Macbook Air base model (4gb RAM) and although there's a little lag when I'm importing video clips into iMovie for the first time, once the clips are in, its very usable for editing videos (usually mine are short clips cut together into a 4 minute video)

Would the new MacBook with its core M be able to handle this kind of editing or is that too taxing?

And if it is too taxing, is it odd for Apple to release a new product that can't handle one of its basic (albeit processor heavy) apps?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It should handle it with ease. Have you checked your RAM usage?

3. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

No, haven't checked my RAM usage because it works fine on my 2014 Air. Just curious if the new Macbook can handle it -- I guess the answer is "yes"

4. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

It will handle iMovie with ease.

Why are people thinking that Core M is totally piece of crap processor??

It's completely capable processor, these power-hungry spec w**res just make it look like a really bad one. It's not Intel i7 nor i5 but it's capable processor.

5. mjs402 macrumors 6502

...Really? iMovie? How crippled do you think this Intel Core M processor is? I chatted with an Apple Online representative and they said it would be great to play a game or 2, use Notability for notes and the like. iMovie? Hahahaha.

6. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea how crippled the Core M is -- that's why I asked.

I guess it was a hilarious question. You're welcome.

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I never used iMovie until I saw this thread, and just threw together some videos on my iPad Air 2....no problems at all. The MacBook would have to handle it at least as well as an iPad. ;)

8. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Thank you. Don't listen to nay-sayers! I'm not laughing at YOU, I'm laughing at the garnered opinion that Intel Core M is crap.

You will have no problem with iMovie.

9. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

It will run iMovie but if you are working with large and lengthy, uncompressed MOV/MP4 files or 4k video and adding transitions, text, music...good luck. Especially when it comes to rendering times.

10. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Since it still is a Broadwell CPU, and with it all the latest Quick Sync improvements, I'd say it will even be suitable for light FCP editing.

It's not going to be a workhorse but it's definitely not going to be a crippled experience.

11. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

ParanoidDroid

It can handle Facebook and this forum well. Why would you use iMovie on a $1,299.00 machine? :eek:

12. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

Dont understand the question. In your opinion is iMovie for a more expensive computer or a less expensive one?

I've used iMovie with my 2007 iMac and my 2009 MacBook Pro for many years and both those cost around $1,200. Why wouldnt I use iMovie with a 2015 MacBook if it runs smoothly?

13. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Frankly, iMovie will run on just about everything if there's enough RAM (and the rMB's 8 GB are aplenty) - the performance wall you might hit is when exporting the final video, converting and compressing a/v, etc. It will handle it, it just might be a little slow at it tho.