Can the new MacBook Pro models support the 8GB ram that they should?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Terrifiedz, May 1, 2010.

1. Terrifiedz macrumors newbie

Terrifiedz

i was just wondering about the new MacBook Pro 13'' models being able to support the 8GB ram that they were supposed to...(note: new = 2.4ghz and 2.66ghz models) any advice?

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I don't quite understand the question. Yes they can utilize 8gb of ram. My 2008 Macbook reportedly is able to support 6gb.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have a mid-09 MBP 15 with 8 GB installed. What kind of problem are you anticipating?

4. Terrifiedz thread starter macrumors newbie

Terrifiedz

ok.... sry... i was browsing through the list of forums that said 6gb of ram supports better than the 8gb ram. So, are there any people who used both before? and if there is, whats the difference?

(problems: system jerking... rebooting ... lagging etc)

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

To answer your question, one is not "supported" more than the other. You won't really notice a difference thought between 6 and 8 gigs unless you _use_ the memory. Multitasking or using programs that utilize it as scratch will show you the difference though. If you have a browser, itunes, and office and Photoshop open like I do sometimes.. then yes you will. For everyday usage though there isn't a huge real world difference.

When you have 8 gigs installed though the two ram chips are paired and you also have more memory. I would recommend the 8gig upgrade if you can afford it because its a prudent investment.

6. Terrifiedz thread starter macrumors newbie

Terrifiedz

Thanks =D
    Um and by the way... is parallel desktop or VMware fusion better?

I really want to play stuff like Left 4 Dead 2 and use programs like 3Ds max and adobe premiere pro...

Any advice too?;)

7. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

eheh : ) My experience is limited to Adobe on Mac which is great. I have not used Premiere, although i do use Creative Suite Design Premium on a daily basis in school. It performs well with the 4 gigs of ddr3 i have and the SSD.

I don't really game much on Mac so I will let someone else post a reply. Anyways, Adobe on Mac is great. : )