Can the new MBP do 2560x1600 yet without a funky adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theaero, Feb 28, 2011.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

When I say funky, I mean the only adapters that allow you to do 2560x1600 via dual link DVI are ones that are mini displayport/usb combos, and have a huge ugly breakout box. Are there any other solutions? Thanks!

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well if the display has a minidisplay port or displayport on it then you dont need really any adapters.

The reason for the adapters is to go generally from DVI to Mini-DisplayPort, nothing to do with the resolution.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I thought 2560 x 1600 WAS the max resolution of MDP, in which case, you're fine.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, you need the Dual Link DVI Adapter, but only for a 30" ACD according to a genius.
    I just called my local store and asked.

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

The dual link dvi adapter requires you to use the USB port as well though, from what I have read and understand, and not for the ports on the monitor. I'm using a Dell 3007wfp hc btw

6. de.user macrumors newbie

de.user

yes you need that adapter because you display has only DVI. Only with Displayport capable displays you do not need any signal converter.

The USB port is used as power supply for the adapter. You can also use USB power supply (e.g. from iPod). If the USB ports on the Dell provides enough power it could also work.

7. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

as long as you get a decent cable within 6ft, you don't need external usb power.

8. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

What good dual link dvi to mdp cables exis that are under 6th? I cant find a thing.