Can the new time capsule be used as the main data drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aircanman, Jul 28, 2013.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

Hey all, thinking of downsizing and just getting a MBA, but the max storage is 512GB and I need about 1TB, so I thought about using a Time Capsule to store everything on it, to access wirelessly, things like iMovie, iTunes and iPhoto, will it do this? so I can access it all when I am in the house, and will it be seamless? As in will the MBA just see it when I turn it on and work as if it was inside the computer?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes, it will. You should even be able to set mounting the drive as your login item, so it will happen every time when you log in.
    Of course, if you remain logged in but the visibility of your AirDisk changes (eg you log in to different networks), then you'd have to manually remount the drive every time you log back in to home network.
    One word of caution though: should you be working over wi-fi, you will immediately see a huge lag in working with iMovie, iPhoto etc disk-intensive applications.

3. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats interesting, thanks for the reply. I suppose I could put the iPhoto and iMovie onto the drive as they only equal about 300GB, it's movies and music on my iTunes which will need to be on the Time Capsule, but most of the time I only use my mac to play some music, and sync movies and music to my iDevices so there shouldn't be an issue there.

4. ehfz macrumors member

In general, a nas or a time capsule is a fine option for streaming audio/video or viewing images, but for content creation/modification, you're best off using a local drive. I'd recommend working on your iMovie projects locally, then when they are done and you've exported the final project, move those files to the airport and watch them from there.