Can the oldest Intel Macs run Mac OS X 10.6 well?

printz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
According to the Mactracker app, all Intel Mac computers can run 10.6 (the ones with 10.7 preinstalled notwithstanding). But can they run it at acceptable performance? I'm asking because I want to make sure if it's okay to make my app require Mac OS X 10.6, or do I have to try to support Leopard too?

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Snow Leopard was essentially a leaner, quicker Leopard, so if anything, it should run faster.

I remember it being very fast in comparison to Leopard on my old Core Duo MacBook Pro.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
As far as I know - If it runs Leopard with decent performance, Snow Leopard is not slower on the same system.

Tiger might be faster of course...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
According to the Mactracker app, all Intel Mac computers can run 10.6 (the ones with 10.7 preinstalled notwithstanding). But can they run it at acceptable performance? I'm asking because I want to make sure if it's okay to make my app require Mac OS X 10.6, or do I have to try to support Leopard too?
The question is how long do you want to have to support old versions of OS X for? I would say 10.6 should be the earliest.

And as for Snow Leopard, it was Leopard minus all the PowerPC code with some enhancements and improved performance.

printz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Now the second question is, can people still obtain Snow Leopard legally?