Can the pairing animation be repeated?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wildgift, May 3, 2015.

1. Wildgift macrumors 6502

It looks so cool, I'd like to see it more than nice when my SS 42 Milanese arrives. Can this be done?

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm still trying to figure out what it's actually reading from the screen (if anything). I wonder if someone posted the animation to YouTube or something.

EDIT: Found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryP_fh-4Ndg

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah you can view it at any time by un-pairing and re-pairing your watch to your phone.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Basically it is the serial number of the :apple:Watch. It is just a neat type of a bar code.

5. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

How do you know this? It probably is, but do you have a source with detail of how it works?

If it is the serial I guess that would make sense. The watch would transmit its serial over BT. As there could be multiple watches in this state then pointing your phone at the screen and getting the serial would then let the phone determine which of the multiple serial numbers it can detect is the one with which to pair.

6. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

If you hit the (i) button and tell it to pair manually all you need to do is confirm the watches serial number. That's all the animation provides.

7. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I don't think so. The assumption that it's some kind of futuristic bar code comes from "Apple is God" mentality. The shimmering dots are so tiny that it's just not possible to reliably decode any information from them using a shaky camera on a shaky target with reflections.

Pairing almost any BT device with screen these days (such as a smartwatch) is pretty standard and simple: a dialog pops up asking to confirm that the device displaying some random (usually, 4-6-digit) number is the one you want to pair with. You click it and you're done. The serial number is then transferred over BT.

Building such gimmicky pairing is an example of waisting engineering resources on pretty but useless things while the product is launched half-baked and full of bugs.