Can the processor of a Mac Pro be upgraded by user?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WizardHunt, Jun 17, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I hope I don't sound dumb on this question, but I am about to switch from PC to Apple, and I am use to upgrading my own computers. So I wonder if I buy the two dual core option, can that be upgraded to the Dual Quad core option by the user or by apple only or not at all? Another words, am I stuck with what I buy in the beginning?

Another question is if I go for the current chipset that is out for the dual quad core and when the new chipset comes out, can that also be upgraded or am I way out of my reach on this?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It can be replaced by the user, but it voids the warranty.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I suppose if there are Apple replacement logicboards for whatever comes out afterwards available you could upgrade, but you'd probably be looking at something like $800-$1000, while a PC version would probably be worth like $500. I'm of the belief that upgrading processors or the logicboard on a Mac Pro will cost more than just selling it and buying a new one.

4. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

you can swap out the processors in the mac pro only. the rest or stuck on that there motherboard. there are plenty of guides on google, its intel so you need only make sure the chip is the same chipset. there are reports of swapping out the dual core chips in the mac pro to two quads and yes it works

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

its actually that simple, go on newegg, buy new xeon, swap out old cpu in mac pro, in goes new one. bada bing

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji