Can the Ring/Silent switch be set to vibrate when switched to both ring and silent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smeg36, Jan 19, 2011.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

Whenever I switch my phone to silent, the phone vibrates confirming that I did indeed switch it to silent. Good, I like that. Then I can do it in the dark, or with the phone in my pants and not have to look to make sure I flipped the switch. What I'd really like is for it to also vibrate when I switch it back to ring. I have a bumper on the phone, and can't tell without looking at it if I was successful in my attempt to switch the phone back to ring.

I have vibrate turned on in Settings/Sounds under both Silent and Ring. But the phone only vibrates when the switch is turned to silent, and not when it's turned back to ring. If I turn Vibrate off for Silent, then it will vibrate when I switch it back to ring, but not when I turn it to silent. I just want it to work when I do both. I have no idea if I'm making what I'd like to happen clear, but is there any way to do that?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I understand what you're asking, but no, there's no way as far as I know. Not without a jailbreak at least.

3. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Jailbreak is no problem. I'm already jailbroken. Is there some app in Cydia that you know of? That's one of the drawbacks of there being so much software available for the iPhone. It makes is very difficult to search for one specific thing like this.

4. steste macrumors member

my un jailbroken phone already does this?

Do you have it set to vibrate when it rings?

5. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do. Are you sure it vibrates when you flip the switch to both silent and ring? Mine will only do it on silent if I have vibrate set for both silent and ring. If I have vibrate set for only ring and not silent, then it will do it when I flip it to ring, but not to silent. But it won't do it for both on either my or my wife's iPhone 4 running 4.1.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Mine is the same and it is irritating. It should make a click or other noise when you switch vibrate off. Sometimes I have to listen for the click when I punch in the unlock code or hit the sleep button to hear the click. Should be an easy fix. :cool:

7. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I have the same problem, i really wish it would vibrate or make some sort of notification to let you know that its switched to ring mode... It's great when i go to class, and if i forget to set my phone to silent i just flip the switch in my pocket and the vibration gives me notification that i've put it in silent mode... I really wish it was available for going to ring as well so i can know if its in ring, just in case...

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

To clarify - currently when you hit the silent switch, it vibrates for a moment when you turn silent mode on. The OP also wants it to vibrate for a second when you turn off silent mode.

He is not asking to have it vibrate when it rings (that's something different)

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It would make more sense if it would ring for a split second when you turn the ringer on (off vibrate) and vibrate when you put it on silent (if vibrate is on). :)

10. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

That would work too. I just want some kind of indicator that the switch has indeed been flipped.