Can the rMBP 13" run MMO's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spookys, Mar 10, 2013.

1. spookys macrumors newbie

I understand most people recommend the 15" if you plan on gaming but since I have a desktop, the only real game I would want to play on my laptop is Tera (possibly other MMO's as well) - would the difference be considerably noticeable or would the 13" rMBP run it just fine? I don't mind turning down the graphics if needed, my only concern is if it'll run without overheating.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The machine will definitely get hot (probably 90-100 Celsius). Although, a 15" would too.

You will definitely notice a difference running MMOs on an integrated GPU.

I'm not familiar with Tera, but the integrated GPU can handle most games at low settings with around 15-20 frames per second.

3. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

When playing anything on my 13" (early 2013 with 3.0 i7), the CPU goes up to roughly 80-82 degrees Celsius. The fans will be around 4-6k at this temp and are more or less audible (more at 6k ;)).

I get these temps with Diablo3 or Half-Life2. Running Parallels and playing Everquest, the temps are around 70-75 only.

Speed and FPS are not an issue. 60 fps etc. The case close to the lid gets very hot though and the back also. No playing with Laptop on your lap without wearing a solid jeans ;)

4. Serban Suspended

I think you better wait for haswell. You will get a better integrated Graphic Card and i think apple is starting to get their aluminium devices to get colder than hotter. See late imac vs older imacs, see iphone 5 vs 4s etc. Now will be the time for macbooks.

5. leman macrumors 604

Well, the Intel GPU meets Tera's minimum system requirements. I doubt you will be very happy with the performance though. I'd expect around 25-30 fps at 1280x900 with medium graphics settings.