Can the Touch ID pad be implemented with more gestures?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by urkel, Oct 8, 2014.

1. urkel, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

urkel macrumors 68030

Tap Tap on an iPhone 6/6+ Touch ID pad activates Reachability. Whether people like the feature or not, the fact that it uses the Touch ID pad to do something other than fingerprint scan is promising. But can the Touch ID pad be implemented with more gestures?

Personally, I'm thinking that a swipe left on the Touch ID pad could act like a "Back" button (like in Android) or function like a blackberry trackball Would be interesting. Any ideas?

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I'm not sure Touch ID has that kind of sensing capability. The ring can only detect if its being touched by your finger. The actual sensor doesn't seem to do anything besides scan your finger but I'm not sure exactly what the tech underneath can do.

3. illusionmist macrumors member

Should the Touch ID pad be implemented with more gestures?

I'd be happy just to be able to use double tapping Touch ID to summon multitasking view instead of double press. Feels more natural to do, wears the home button less, and also removes the delay of single press to go home (which is needed with current implementation since it needs to wait and see if you are going to press it the second time).

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's being used for reachability on the new phones.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

6. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

+ 1

7. illusionmist macrumors member

I know. I've got an iPhone 6. I'm saying that I want this instead (presumably doable after jailbroken).