Can the Touch record FM transmissions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xtwentyseven, Sep 10, 2008.

1. xtwentyseven macrumors member

I currently have the Creative Zen Vision M and one of the reasons I bought it instead of the ipod 2 years ago was that I could listen to and record FM signal. Now that I have an iMac, the sync process has gotten annoying with the Zen. I'm looking to get the Touch and get rid of the Zen and my old iPAQ. Even if you need extras, that's fine. I just want to know if I could somehow record FM radio. (It's not for recording radio stations, but for conventions that are broadcast on FM for hearing impaired).

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The iPod Touch does not have an FM radio receiver.

If Apple releases a voice memo application for the iPod Touch similar to what was announced for the iPod Nano, (or if they open up access to audio input through the SDK and somebody writes an app to do it) then in principle, you could hook up an external radio tuner to one of the iPod Touch's audio inputs (there is a stereo line in signal on the dock connector of all iPod Touches, and it looks as though there's going to be a mic input in the headphone jack of the 2nd generation iPod Touch), and record it that way. No guarantees though.

If your Creative unit has the built-in ability to do this, then I suggest you stick with it for the time being.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or if the iPod Touch is compatible with the Apple Radio or Griffin Radio, then you should be able to record.

It looks like the Apple Radio is only compatible with the Nano, but the Griffin iFM says it is compatible.

TEG

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I can say from experience that as of early this year, the iPod Touch wasn't compatible with the Apple radio. Haven't tried the Griffin unit.