can the trackpad on the macbook pro wear down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Dec 3, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

can the trackpad on the macbok pro wear down? i bought a moshi palmgaurd which i like alot but it also came bundled with a trackgaurd as well.

i never put it on cause i like the smooth silky feel of the trackpad but would it be worth it?

also, noob question but is the trackpad really made of glass?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's made of glass, so it would be hard to wear down - but, I suppose it is possible. I think other components would wear out first though.

3. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Everything wears down at some point, i think the trackpad would be the last thing on your mac to wear down.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I've seen the finish wear down. I believe there is some kind of coating on the glass and that is what appears to wear down but I've seen 3 year machines with relatively new looking trackpad so it's not something that happens to everyone I guess. I've worn other trackpads without affecting performance so don't worry about it.

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

The wear you get on the glass trackpad that comes with months of daily use actually improves the feel of it IMO. Makes it feel a lot smoother than it did out of the box. You'll have moved onto a new computer long before you'll have completely worn down the trackpad.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm sure some of the finish will eventually come off with prolonged use.
    However, nothing can be as bad as

[​IMG]

which I'm sure we're unlikely to see, as even 3 year old Late 2008 MacBook unibodies on eBay do not look very worn.
    Also, that picture reminds me of how much I hated the shininess feeling of those older MacBook Trackpads.

7. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks guys! was just curious! guess i wont neeed to use that trackgaurd