Can the USB-C to USB adapter be used to charge the MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wallabe, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Wallabe, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

People have been getting mixed results. It has been confirmed that using an adapter does work with some external portable USB batteries, but some don't seem to be getting enough juice to the machine. Looking at your link, I couldn't see any details on the voltage or amps (current) being delivered. IIRC the rMB needs at least 5V @ 2A current to charge at all (the equivalent of an iPhone wall charger). Even then, it needs ro be in very light use or turned off for charging to occur.

Just as many have reported no charging or just a slower discharge under normal/heavier use while on external USB battery packs as have reported slow recharging.

3. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I'll confirm it once I get delivery of my MacBook.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I've used one, but it does take a lot longer since they max out at 10W vs. the 29W that the Apple power adapter provides.

5. Brookzy, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Considering recent Macs can output approximately 2.1A over USB for charging (thus charging an iPad at maximum speed), would it be possible to trickle charge a rMB by connecting it to an iMac via a USB-USB-C cable?

6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I bought this USB-A to USB-C cable and I use my iPad 12W charger to charge my MacBook while I'm home.

I keep my USB-C power brick at work.

7. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I bought 3 of these cables, one sits at my desk at home where I keep the computer nightly in an Anker 60w/2.4A 6 port charger along with iphone and iPad, another sits in my car plugged into a USB port, the 3rd travels with me for use with an external battery ... all 3 charge my rMB quite well ... of course they are being plugged into 2A chargers so its going to be slower than the normal charger but in a test even today, with a 26% charge, plugged into the Anker hub, with both iPhone and iPad charging, showed 5hr 36min to full charge.

Long story to a simple question ... answer is positively yes!

8. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

So for now, the supplied charger gives the fastest charge. I'll mainly use the supplied one, but just in case I'm mobile and without an outlet, it's a backup.