Can the USB-C to USB adapter be used to charge the MacBook?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68010
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I have one of those battery pack to charge iPhones, iPads, etc., but it has the USB out. Will it charge through the USB-C to ISB adapter using this?

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mA...171407&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+external+battery
People have been getting mixed results. It has been confirmed that using an adapter does work with some external portable USB batteries, but some don't seem to be getting enough juice to the machine. Looking at your link, I couldn't see any details on the voltage or amps (current) being delivered. IIRC the rMB needs at least 5V @ 2A current to charge at all (the equivalent of an iPhone wall charger). Even then, it needs ro be in very light use or turned off for charging to occur.

Just as many have reported no charging or just a slower discharge under normal/heavier use while on external USB battery packs as have reported slow recharging.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Considering recent Macs can output approximately 2.1A over USB for charging (thus charging an iPad at maximum speed), would it be possible to trickle charge a rMB by connecting it to an iMac via a USB-USB-C cable?

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I bought this USB-A to USB-C cable and I use my iPad 12W charger to charge my MacBook while I'm home.

I keep my USB-C power brick at work.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I bought this USB-A to USB-C cable and I use my iPad 12W charger to charge my MacBook while I'm home.

I keep my USB-C power brick at work.
I bought 3 of these cables, one sits at my desk at home where I keep the computer nightly in an Anker 60w/2.4A 6 port charger along with iphone and iPad, another sits in my car plugged into a USB port, the 3rd travels with me for use with an external battery ... all 3 charge my rMB quite well ... of course they are being plugged into 2A chargers so its going to be slower than the normal charger but in a test even today, with a 26% charge, plugged into the Anker hub, with both iPhone and iPad charging, showed 5hr 36min to full charge.

Long story to a simple question ... answer is positively yes!

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
So for now, the supplied charger gives the fastest charge. I'll mainly use the supplied one, but just in case I'm mobile and without an outlet, it's a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.