Can the Vado HD be used as a Webcam?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacBOS, Dec 16, 2009.

1. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

I am thinking about Purchasing the device but with the intent of using this as a webcam, and the advantage that i can also use it as a camcorder instead of a typical webcam with almost the same quality video for the same price.

I am planing to air a show in ustream every week and i wanted quality, but the logitec coast us$114.00 and the vado is just us$20.00 more and its a video camera. But if you have any suggestions to another camera or a cheaper hi quality webcam pls. feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance :D

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't think so. As far as I know, the only camcorders that can double as webcams are firewire miniDV ones. You might be able to do it with one of the AVCHD camcorders that has HDMI-out, but you'd need something like the Blackmagic Design HMDI cards installed on your computer.

3. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

wich AVCHD camcorders you recommend that are a decent quality but not overpriced?

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I have a Canon HG20 and I like it a lot. It records to a hard drive, but has an SD slot as well. I was going to go with one of the flash models, but I got a very good deal on the HG20 and couldn't pass it up. There are a few good brands out there for consumer camcorders, but Canon tends to get pretty high marks across the board for their VIXIA line. Check out the HF line for flash-based, the HV line for tape-based, and the HG line for hard drive based models.