Can the video card on the Macbook be upgraded?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phaedarus, Nov 22, 2009.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

Following the death of my dual G4 867mhz system, I have been left with an IBM T42 laptop for the last few months on which to work (feel free to Google if you're curious about the stats).

I can't honestly say that I care much for the iMacs and the Mac Pros are beyond my budget so it looks like I'll be going with the next revision of the Macbook Pro.

I've reviewed the Apple website and I'm interested in the high-end 15 inch with the dual video card setup with 512MB of VRAM. What I am not pleased with, however, is that it is also configured with additional RAM and HDD space; both of which Apple charges a premium for.

My line of thinking is that I'll purchase the other two components from third party vendors as add-ons for the base configuration and upgrade the video card either at the Apple store or elsewhere - assuming it's practical.

My question then, can the video card in the Macbook Pro be upgraded?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Negative. You can not upgrade a video card in the Macbook Pro. It is soldered onto the logic board. You must buy the high end model to get the dual video cards.