can this be done macpro to imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rud3Bwoy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

so got a macpro late 2013,also got a imac 27 inch coming in monday can i make my entire imac 27 the same as my mac pro with a backup or do i have to re do everything on a desktop

new to mac so not sure how it works.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can do a Time Machine backup of your nMP and then restore that backup to the 27" iMac, or you can use Migration Assistant.

3. Rud3Bwoy thread starter Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

don't have time machine or external hard drive to do it.but how long does migration assistant take?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Then just connect an ethernet cable directly between the two machines and do the transfer that way. No router or anything in the middle... just a ethernet cable connected the two machines direct.

When you start the new iMac after you pick language etc you will be asked if you want to import data. Tell it yes and from another Mac then follow the instructions. That will pull in your account and all your apps and data from the Pro.

5. Serban Suspended

I think is going more faster with transfer with a thunderbolt cable?

6. Rud3Bwoy thread starter Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

ah ok didn't know that does it put everything the exact way as the previous machine ?also the macpro don't have an ethernet port

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh yeah... definitely. But the damn things cost $29 :eek:.

I bought one just for this purpose.

Yep... it puts everything there. Works great.

Mac Pros have ethernet ports. Do you maybe have a Retina MacBook Pro with no ethernet port?

If so Apple sells an TB/ethernet adaptor, or just buy the TB cable like Serban mentioned. Or just get a cheap USB3 external drive and do a Time Machine backup of the existing machine, then use that as the source of the import when setting up the new machine.

You can even run the import over wifi on both machines, but if you have a lot of data, this will be VERY slow. How much data are we talking about here?

8. Rud3Bwoy thread starter Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

20 gb at most,yes i have retina 2013 and im not spending 30 bucks for one time use lol might be a dumb question but would a apple charger work?lol going from thunder bolt to usb?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope the charger won't work for this. With just 20GB you could do it over wifi and it won't be too bad. I find it helps to drink a couple beers while the transfer is going on. :D