Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello..

Still pretty new to the Mac environment, so please forgive if this is pretty simple.

I am currently using VM Ware fusion. I have a partition on one of my hard drives called "Windows Disk". On that disk is a folder called "Windows Machine".

I want to add a new hard drive in my Mac pro, and put that folder on the new hard drive. Can I just copy it over? If not do I have to do a complete new install of windows? I have the disks and everything but it is setup the way I like it right now.

Deadaim357

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Boston,MA
I'm pretty sure you'll have to reinstall windows then. The largest I think FAT is is 32gb. So I can see why you chose NTFS. I'm pretty new to OSX myself. Only been a Mac User since September so maybe someone else knows more.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You can move your VMWare virtual machine around as much as you'd like. I move one of mine between different computers (my MacBook Pro and my work machine, a Dell running Windows XP) all of the time. Move it like you would any other OS X file.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
aristobrat

Just copy it over to the new drive and be done with it? Just want to make sure before I do it. Does it matter that the original hard drive will be out of the computer? Just want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I do anything.

Thanks

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
All you should have to do is copy it over.

Since this is your first time doing it, I'd move it to the new drive, but don't destroy the original drive until you've booted the VM on the new drive and verified its working OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.