Can this be done ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, May 22, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I posted before how my iphone 4 no longer works ,then i had a problem with ebay
    Thanks for all the help

My question is , im on a family plan i have the iphone 4 (broken) & my sister has the iphone 3G

Were BOTH eligible for an upgrade now & the contract ends in august

What im thinking of doing is choosing to upgrade her phone with. That $50 8GB iphone 4 with bestbuy and signing a new 2 year contract , but only upgrading her line not mine

Then i would take her new iphone 4 and put my sim card in it . Since shes happy with her 3G phone,she would just go back to using her 3G

And when the iphone 5 comes out ill just upgrade my line and give her back the iphone 4

Is this possible to do ?

Im On at&t

Will i lose my upgrade if she only does hers ?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes it will be doable. If you go to Best Buy and upgrade, your sister's sim card is no longer active because once you upgrade her line, her line transfers to that micro-sim card, thus you will have to stop by AT&T and get her a original sim card reactivate. If Best buy does sell it for $50 bucks then upgrade it there, and take it to the AT&T store and do a sim swap on her phone so that she can still use her 3G.

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

And i wont lose my $200 upgrade for the iphone 5 on my line ?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Correct, you are basically using your sister's upgrade, not your own.

5. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Yes. You won't lose any upgrade on your line if you just use your sister's line. This is known as Cross-upgrade, can be done at AT&T, Best Buy, Target, etc. (authorized resellers)

Maybe you should just get the iPhone 4S for $149 so if you decide to give the phone back to your sister, at least she has the 4S instead of 4.

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Shes one of those people that only uses the phone for pics & calls , she didnt even know the volume button fell off her iphone 3g till i pointed it out ,she only uses like 40mb of data a month

On the sim card thing ,insted of going to at&t cant i just use a sim card adapter ? Put her new iphone 4 micro sim card in the iphone 3g using one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OG8G6W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have a couple laying around

Then when i give her back the iphone 4 in october she will still have the micro sim card

Will this work ?

7. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

To do the cross upgrade, your sister will need to be with you. Then you tell the employee to do a cross upgrade and not mess with her sim card. That way she won't get a new sim card, only you will get a new sim card for the iPhone 4. When she thinks she needs a micro sim card for the iPhone 4, she can go to AT&T to get a micro sim card once she's ready to use the iPhone 4. But if you want her to get a micro sim card now, then go head and buy the adapter.

8. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Im using my iphone 4 sim card on a cheap razr phone now

Will this complicate things when swapping sim cards from my flip razr to her iphone 4 8gb ?

9. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

No it shouldn't. I'm assuming your micro sim card came from your iPhone 4 so it should have no problem accessing 3G network. You can always ask for a new sim when doing the cross upgrade.

10. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

ok i got everything all set up

did an upgrade on her line for an iphone 4 8g

came home put my broken iphone 4 sim card in to her phone

now her new small micro sim card , i had to put that into her old iphone 3g, i did this with some tape

the guy at bestbuy said this wont affect the ugrade on my line

so i guess im all set?