Can this be true? (17" MBP for 600$)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellhammer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I was surfing on eBay and saw this amazing deal. 17" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz with 8GB of DDR3 for less than 700$. The guy is powerseller with 99.9% positive. It just sounds ridiculous, it's almost 2000$ cheaper than Apple's price.

Here's the link

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The very fact that it's asking to email to an address stated on the page and not use ebay contact system screams hacked account. steer clear.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Rule of thumb... if it is too good to be true, it usually is ;)

Caveat emptor... "buyer beware"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I was thinking the same. Too good to be true.

5. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

Wow only $600? I paid like $4500+, looks like I got screwed. Totally should have gone the eBay route. Dude go for it, only $600 for that machine? Grab it before it gets sold to someone else. Absolutely nothing can do wrong with this plan.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i clicked on the link and eBay has removed the listing.

and if it's to good to be true it ALWAYS is. not usually hahaha

7. NickM macrumors 6502

If it's too good to be true, it is NOT always true... probably just most of the time. I got a steal of a deal on eBay for my brand new MBP a few weeks ago...saved about $700 rather than going through Apple...even with their student discount.

However, whenever you see the "email me before bidding" message... it is 99.9999999999999999999% of the time a scam. There's no reason they'd ask you to email them outside of eBay, other than their eBay account being hacked. The hacker doesn't have access to the eBay account's email address, so they ask you to email them at their address instead. Then they'll ask you to just paypal them, or whatever their shady plan is.

Use eBay, use PayPal, and only buy from buyers with lots and lots of positive feedback who have been a member for a while, and have other recently completed listings for which they have received positive feedback.
    If you use eBay and PayPal together, you are 100% protected. The only thing you could possibly lose is a little time.