Can this be unlocked/jailbroke?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by limestand1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. limestand1 macrumors member

Okay so i got the 1st gen iphone from a friend for free. i have used it for a couple days and i love it. so i think i am going to go ahead and get a newer one where i dont ALWAYS have to be around wifi just to get on the internet. i was looking on the apple site at the iphones and i really dont need a huge gb one. so i was just going to get the $99 one on here http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ but was wondering if i could get that one unlocked and jailbroken before i actaully went and bought one and couldnt unlock it??

please let me know bc if i can i am going to go to the apple store today!

2. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

also i was going to put up the 1st gen on craigslist since i will have no use for it and my friend doesnt want it back either... but not sure what they go for?? any ideas

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

3G (Which I believe is the one for $99) can be jailbroken.

Buy it and then run blackra1n and it will be jailbroken. You will, however, be stuck with AT&T as there is not yet a unlock for the new phones baseband.

Also... Should be in the iPhone Hacks forum.

4. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

well damn screw that.. i have cincinnati bell and only have a $35 a month phone bill, not switching to have a $85 a month. which one CAN be unlocked? do they sell them at the store still or what

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have your heart set on jailbreaking/unlocking, do not buy new iPhones, because right now it's a crap shoot. Whether or not they can be jailbroken/unlocked depends on what OS / bootRom / boot loader they come with, and you won't know until you get it home and attempt to jailbreak. The $99 3G can most likely be jailbroken, but whether or not it can be unlocked is a big question mark. In fact, if there's nothing wrong with your current 1st gen phone, that's the easiest one to keep unlocked. I don't follow the used iPhone market, but my guess is you could easily get more than $100 for it if you advertise it as unlockable. ;)

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

The 2G that you got for free can be unlocked.

7. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

i like the 1st gen.. but i use the internet WAY too much and i hate only being able to get on if i am around WIFI.. this is driving me crazy, thats why i wanted to newer one.

i already know that lol its jailbroke and unlocked. i want a newer one so i can get online at ALLL times

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So, unlock your 1st gen phone! If you buy a newer phone, you'll have to go with AT&T and their minimum $85/month phone plan.

EDIT TO ADD
    It's unlocked and you don't have internet all the time? You are doing something wrong...

9. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

u all really need to learn how to read!!
    my 1st gen phone is already unlocked
    i dont want it any more due to the fact
    i cant be on the internet at all times i can
    only be on if i am around WIFI

unless i am doing something wrong??? bc everytime i try to get online it wont work.. only if i am around wifi i can get on

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You do realize that just because the first one doesn't have 3G doesn't mean it can't get on the internet...

Just put your SIM in there and if it's unlocked you will be on the internet... It still has Edge you know... People got online all the time with the 2Gs...

UR doin it wrong! :p

We are all doubtful that your phone is unlocked because if it was there'd be no difference between that and the 3G except that the 3G is faster...

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Uhh.. if it's the $99 one, it is the 3G, and not the 3G S. If you get the 3G, ask (better yet, verify) that it is not running OS 3.1 or newer. If it isn't, jailbreak with redsn0w (don't use blackra1n), then unlock with ultrasn0w. Blackra1n has been a crapshoot with people since it came out, but redsn0w/ultrasn0w have worked for everyone so far, as long as you're on 3.0 or 3.0.1. So verify the OS version.

BL.

12. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

I have had this phone for about 4 days.
    i put my sim card in.. i can make calls, texts, get online (only if i am around wifi) everything works. so i know its unlocked..

i dont know why it wont work if i am not around wifi

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think you have to change some settings to get it to work. Just google "bell iphone edge" and I'm sure you'll find some tutorial. Your phone does have the capability already.

Also...

Is this a joke? You literally said the exact same thing I did. I said the $99 one is 3G. Before he never mentioned he needed unlock so I told him it could be jailbroken and NOT unlocked.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You only posted that your 1st gen phone is unlocked after I posted my suggestion that you unlock it. Forum conversation can sometimes lag or "stagger" because people are posting at the same time. Please do understand that before you go accusing people of being unable to read.

15. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

okay so your saying if its the 3g and not running 3.1 then it can be jailbroke AND unlocked?

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yes... BUT the chances that you find a new one with that baseband is VERY slim. Apple doesn't just hand out old software on their phones.

17. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

okay so the 1st gen can be on the internet at all times? well if that is the case i would just keep it, the only reason i wanted a newer one was bc i thought this one only could be online with WIFI near. ALSO if i were to buy the $99 one i would need it UNLOCKED AND JAILBROKE. thats why i was asking in the first post if it was able to be unlocked

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A thought. Maybe OP needs to get a data plan from his cell phone service provider?

That poster probably posted his post before he saw yours. Internet time lag. Get used to it! :D

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Ummm... Nope. He quoted my post. :p

And yea, OP if you have no data plan, that would definitely do it.

20. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

I already have a data plan with cincnnati bell...

and not finding where to change the settings for "bell iphone edge"

someone want to help :eek:

21. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Bell is mentioned in this post. Not sure if it's the same Bell, but aparently they use CDMA or something for Edge and GSM for 3G...

This means that you would have to have a 3G phone to get on their network for data, but you also have to make sure the 3G is the same frequency. T-Mobile users cannot use T-Mobile 3G with the iPhone because they operate a different frequency.

http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/80699-will-iphone-2g-work-telus.html

EDIT: Found this here. Search of the forums is good too. ;)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=487778

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Do you see me laughing? It's early in the morning, and I'm really not in the mood to deal with semantics. Besides, if you looked at the title of this thread, you'd realize that he specifically asked if it could be jailbroken and unlocked.

How about covering all the answers the OP is looking for instead of saying that the majority are doubtful, because we just proved you and that wrong.

BL.

23. limestand1 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm thats kinda confusing!

edit
    so pretty much there is nothing i can do to get on the internet with this phone

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

How about providing useful information? We are saying the same thing. I gave a full explanation of what was and wasn't possible. The OP now knows.

I can't even count the number of threads where the OPs don't stop until they know what is going on when they are told "No, you can't unlock the 3G" then you have to go about explaining that the 3G can be jailbroken and not unlocked, blah blah. I never said it could be unlocked. I never provided him with false info. Enjoy the rest of the thread :D

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I did. redsn0w/ultrasn0w. Go back and read. good day.

BL.