Can this be used to charge the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karansaraf, Jul 26, 2010.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

I was given an old iPod (3rd or 4th gen perhaps) charging cable, which is a FIREWIRE cable and is attached to a power adapter.

Can this be used to charge the iPhone without causing damage? It would fit, but it's the old style one where you have to press the sides to unplug it from the iPhone. I only ask about this because a friend of mine told me not to otherwise it would screw up my iPhone (not sure whether to believe this or not).

Picture:

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. It must be a USB power source. It won't screw up your iPhone. It'll just say "Unsupported power source. Please use a USB charge source." or something along those lines.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

no iPhone will function or charge over Firewire. I don't think it will hurt it; it just won't work.

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I used one with my iPhone 3G, it charged just fine.
    But interesting point:
    I went to the Apple Store to exchange some fraying cables and told the genius that I preferred the old style like that and she said don't use it if the product didn't come with it. It could change the amprage (sp?) and mess with the battery life of newer Apple products.
    My 3G worked fine and had no battery issues but to play it safe I don't use it anylonger. And don't plan to on my iPhone 4.

6. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I believe those are 25 or 30 watts. The newer ones are all 10. Over time it damages the battery. So no, don't use it.

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Any 2008 or later iPod/iPhone can't charge over Firewire. Sorry.

8. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Good to know I can't use it, not that it's a big deal, I already have 1 other compatible charger and 1 cable (without mains adapter) so it's no loss.

9. cirial macrumors regular

Any of you guys use your iPad charger to charge your ip4? What are your thoughts?

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No problem since it is USB. All Apple products now use USB charging. Firewire charging/power is legacy.