Can this cause damage ??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lwien, Dec 23, 2010.

1. lwien macrumors regular

Can plugging and unplugging headphones into an iMac that is up and running cause any damage? I've always heard that it is best to power down a 'puter before plugging or unplugging any peripherals and I was wondering if this is the case for headphones as well.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will not cause any damage. You can also unplug USB, Firewire, network, and video cables without causing any damage.

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I have put headphones on and off my iMac since 2008 without issue. Daytime, internal speakers so we can listen to iTunes and any web video - evenings I play WoW with earphones since the mac is in the communal main room.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

it does not cause any trouble or problems just disconnecting and reconnecting peripherals on a Mac ,
    but it can cause trouble in windows ,i can sing a song from that when i used to have windows some years ago , disconnecting was never a issue , but the reconnecting sometimes did cause windows to forget drivers and needed reinstalling especially printer and external optical drives ,
    never such problems with OSX or Linux, but headphones are meant to be connected and disconnected all the time so should not cause anything on any computer

5. lwien thread starter macrumors regular