Can this configuration work???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebobster, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ebobster macrumors newbie

I hope this doesn't get too complicated. I am trying to get 3 displays to work from my mac mini. I'll outline the confiugration I have and would like to know what I'm doing wrong because in theory I suppose what I have should work. Though I freely admit connectivity is not an area of expertise for me.

From mac mini TB port I have a TB cable going into the TB port on the back of a 27" TB display.

The 27" TB display main power/TB cable is connected to a Sonnet echo expasnsion chassis in the bottom TB port.

The 2nd display is a 24" LED apple display with the dreaded MiniDP connector, which is connected to the top TB port on the Sonnet Chassis.

3rd Display is an LG 27" display with HDMI connectivity. I have an HDMI cable going from the back of this monitor into the mac mini's HDMI input.

The result is that the LG monitor won't find a signal, and this is what I'm trying to solve and after a couple hours I'm resorting to the forums because it's pissing me off.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I've got at hand pretty much every adapter that's been made for monitors (friend's house is a production studio w/zillions of them) so if there is a way to overcome that involves adapters and re-routing of cables I think I'm good to go.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Won't work. You can drive two displays - up to one DP, up to one HDMI, and up to two Thunderbolt, but no more than two total combination.

The only way to get a 3rd display is with a USB display adapter (that is basically an add-on video card).

3. ebobster thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this what I need ?

I'd love to know why the Retina MBP can drive three displays without peripherals and the mac mini cannot. Once again, I just trying to learn here, but the intel 4000 card in the retina is that same as in the mini, n'est pas?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's the type of device, yes.

Not sure of the why, just the what :/ Perhaps less video memory available to the HD4000 vs. what the MBPr gives?