Can this ebay seller be trusted for AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBritishBloke, Jan 5, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Sorry, but I know there are millions of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290388387867&_trksid=p2761.l1259#ht_1059wt_1167

He has 100% feedback, and has sold quite a lot of Apple related products. (Mainly AppleCare I presume). However I'm wondering if it's legit. He says that what he will send you in the post, is the enrolment number, a guide showing you how to register your applecare, and a copy of the paypal receipt.
    He says he can't send the retail box, as he buys in bulk so he doesn't have it.

I have been in contact with LAComputerCompany, they want $275 for it, so it's hit n miss as to whether get it from this ebay seller.

Thanks guys

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you get the box? If so, I'd pull the trigger.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Funny thing that. I emailed him, and he responded with "I don't have any boxes" So LOLOL. He basically said to me also, that anyone who goes on these Mac forums just gets scared of getting ripped off. then he told me to go and just buy it from Apple so clearly he doesn't want my business.

Unfortunately, as I said, no box. Just a slip of paper with the enrolment number.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when apple has been checking up on applecare buyers, they've asked for a receipt from an authorized reseller or the serial number from the box.....neither of which you'll have.

Paypal wont cover you for sales of intangible goods.

This seller is in hawaii but selling on the uk ebay? You're not even in the same country as this guy? There goes any thought of the police helping you out if the deal goes bad.....not that you would get much help from them anyway.

A lot of people say the biggest reason to buy applecare is "peace of mind".....hmmm

6. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hah so true. Love the last bit, not very much peace of mind if you worry that it's legitimate :pP

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLECARE-WARRA...ultDomain_0?hash=item1c0f31a160#ht_7887wt_941 what about this one? He has immense feedback, and has been on ebay for 9 years. He even sells MBPs etc.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Unfortunately, as I said, no box. Just a slip of paper with the enrolment number."

ANY seller offering this type of AppleCare on ebay is a scammer - plain and simple, case closed.

If they won't give you the box, it's a scam.

Of course, people are going to reply to the effect that "I got only a registration number and it worked, and I even got my computer serviced under AppleCare," blah, blah, blah.

That's only because Apple never detected the phony registration number. The "no box" registration numbers are generated by code generators, and although they may "look good" when first registered with Apple, that's only because no one has registered a bona-fide matching AppleCare serial number (i.e., as found on the outside of the AppleCare box) yet.

If eventually a legitimate version of AppleCare with the same code is sold and registered, the "phony code" owner will find his AppleCare revoked.

This has been well-discussed here and well-explained by folks in the know.

But, to repeat:
    "Ebay AppleCare" sold with only a registration number and NO BOX is a scam.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Getting applecare w/o a box is a scam because people have been able to counterfeit the registration number. Its very possible down the road apple will request the serial number of your applecare which is only on the box. No box, no serial number - no applecare at that point.

You need to ask yourself if this is too good to be true then it probably is. why would someone sell a 300+ applecare warranty for 150 bucks doesn't make sense unless its a scam.

9. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Fair points guys.

I read somewhere about buying it, then immediately phoning Apple and registering it directly over the phone to confirm it's legitimacy (record the phone call too hehehe). Would this be a safer route to take? And if the AppleCare representative says that it's not ok, then to file a PayPal Claim?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, how is key generation possible....

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Seriously, read the thread properly. Apple CANNOT detect if the serial is fake when you give it to them, over the phone or not. The issue arises when somebody buys a legit copy and gets that serial number in their box - Apple's system then flags it up as there are two entries in their system. Apple then request you send them proof of purchase etc., which you can't as you got scammed and don't have that information.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You may feel good getting a deal UNTIL you actually need something fixed
    under its coverage. Thats when Apple checks the validity of this Applecare.

I don't think its on the level. I'd bet they are just double selling numbers from legitimate
    purchasers.

12. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Thanks very much for all the feedback guys. I think I may wait until two months before my warranty expires, and then buy the AppleCare on my Further education discount direct from Apple to be safe.

Thanks so much

Joel

13. neilk macrumors newbie

Well it seems easy for Apple to avoid all Applecare fraud cases by requiring the Serial number and Applecare number at the time of registration.

14. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Both of what you would need to register a legit, boxed, AppleCare service, in fact.

In this case, could you simply ditch the box sending process?