Can this get your iPhone bricked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pcs are junk, Dec 21, 2009.

1. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hi, like 2 or 3 days ago i jailbroke my iphone and unlocked it too, i had to restore it, then rejailbreak it. today, i was hearing somethings bad about jailbreaking that apple has said such as battery life drains faster, performance is slow, and even viruses. so today i restored it, first i restored it just by plugging it in and hitting restore, then after it was restored, i erased content and settings, then i put it into dfu mode, restored it, then i erased content and settings again, then put it into recovery mode and restored it. now has this completely gotten rid of the jailbreak? and also, if i do a software update after it has been restored after a jb, is it possible to still get bricked? thanks and i look forward to reading your answers!

2. foob macrumors 6502

foob

I've never heard of an iPhone getting bricked unless you drop it in the lake or something.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

LOL obsess much.....

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me neither.
    You dont need to do 10 DFU restores, one should be enough.
    As long as there is no hardware problem an iphone cannot be bricked by jailbreaking.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You didn't need to do an erase all content and settings to hide your JB. You're lucky you were able to get it restored after all that.

6. The General macrumors 601

7. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

LOL LOL.. i dont blame him im kinda OCD too

8. ckong macrumors regular

Unless someone else knows otherwise, it appears the DFU Recovery mode software built into the iPhone is in ROM (Read Only Memory). It'll never change once Apple has programmed it at the factory. Any changes done with Jailbreaking are all done to the OS stored in Flash memory.

So in theory, no matter how messed up your OS is in your Flash memory, you should always be able to enter DFU mode as its in ROM (assuming of course, the iPhone's Power/Home buttons are working and there's no other hardware mishap). The iPhone should never brick...but that's the theory.

Here's Apple's own post on how to enter DFU mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's recovery mode, which is different from DFU mode. When your iPhone is in DFU mode, the screen remains black -- no itunes/cable image.

10. ckong macrumors regular

You're right! Difference between the two are explained either here or here.

11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Why did you repeat the same process more then 2 times....