Can This Laptop Be Fixed? How Much Longer Will It Last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sweetsoulmusic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sweetsoulmusic macrumors newbie

I'm a pretty heavy user of my laptop. I bought the macbook back in October 2007 and it ran really well for the first year and a half.

In 2009 cosmetic damage began to occur where the plastic ripped off around the magnets where the laptop opens and shuts, on both the keypad area and on top of the screen. Then in early 2010 my CD-ROM drive stopped burning CDs and a month after that it stopped accepting CDs at all. If you put one in there it just spins around making clanking noises and the disc comes out all scratched up. In August 2010, my laptop battery (which still had 3-4 hour charges) suddenly died and no longer worked. Now I have to keep the computer plugged in or it won't stay on.

As of now the computer is getting progressively slower, links aren't working on safari at times. I've had to open and shut my browser a couple of times just to get it to work.

How much longer do you think this computer will function? I definitely would like to replace it in the future, but I just don't have the money for the cost of a new one right now. I already replaced my 2004 PowerMac G5 with a brand new iMac in mid 2010. Are there any inexpensive ways to fix these problems?

2. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

you could actually buy a new shell from a broken laptop with a fried logic board or whatever the case, and that should fix the cosmetics, and then i would back up all of your hard drive and re install, as well as purchase an exterior superdrive either from lacie, or just go into a mac resale agent and pay the extra to get your superdrive replaced.

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

you might be lucky and get that cracked palmrest replaced for free at your nearest apple store, even out of warranty. it's a known problem…

get a new battery, reinstall the OS, and i'm sure the computer will last you another couple of years!