Can this Mac Mini run Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SnowLeopard2008, Nov 29, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Mac Mini G4

Will it be able to run leopard? How about iLife 08 and iWork 09? I'm going to be using it as a web server, and iLife/iWork doesn't matter to me; however I'd still like to know if it will be able to. Thanks!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yes it'll run it fairly well, and iLife etc. Minimum requirements for leopard are 867mhz+ g4. Although perhaps up the ram if you need to, although that can be more trouble than its worth on a mac mini!

3. J B macrumors member

iWork 09? is there such thing? im not being sarcastic, i just though there was only 08

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Oops! Sorry I meant iWork 08! ^

UPDATE: Should I wait for Macworld Expo 09 for the refreshed (cheaper) Mac Minis?

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Ahh, Optimism, I like that. The ebay PPC Mini looks like a good deal if you could get it for around $250 ><. I would wait for macworld and if there is nothing for you then, get a used intel C2D Mini.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea I'm trying to decide whether Apple will bother to put the new nVidia chipset in the Mini or just kill off the line all together. This is a good deal, since it comes with a wireless apple keyboard and mouse... Overall I think I'll wait, hopefully Apple won't jack up the prices like they did with the MacBook (Pro) release.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I had a 1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 before that I bought off of Craigslist back in March 2006. I put Leopard on it in Fall 2007 and it got pretty annoying after that, even maxed out to 1gb of RAM. It died recently in our house fire so I'm about to replace it because I like having a simple computer on the main level for simple tasks and sharing our all in one.

When I bought my 1.42ghz Mac Mini G4, I bought it for $375 and it HAD JUST retailed for $599 a few months prior. The person selling it just wanted to dump it, and I made my low offer based on the update which occured to the mac mini line right around Jan/feb 2006.

I'm trying to pay as close to $400 for a used Mac Mini Core 2 Duo that's still within warranty. There's nothing on craigslist near me; however, there is a candidate on ebay. Let's see if that works out. on ebay, I would ultimately end up paying more and would really prefer craigslist.

btw OP, you should make this subject more meaningful than just "this mac mini"

8. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

My sister has a G4 Mac Mini 1.42GHz with 1GB RAM. It ran fast with Tiger. Now that it has Leopard, she is very disappointed in how slow it is compared to Tiger.