Can this MacBook be saved?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brooklinebiker, Oct 14, 2014.

1. brooklinebiker macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am the owner of an early 2009 13 inch unibody MacBook with 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor. I recently attempted to swap out the existing (slow but working) RAM cards for new ones with more memory. Some checking eventually revealed that one of the new cards was likely defective. I decided to simply reinstall the old RAM cards pending the receipt of replacement (new) RAM cards.

The effort to reinstall was a rough one. To get the RAM cards out, I had to first get the battery out. The battery case lock has been barely operable for some time. To get the battery out with delaminating it, I had to open up the computer. I closely tracked the locations of the many screws removed. However, one screw went missing from the back of the computer next to a vent and another screw in the RAM holding case behind the battery compartment simply would not go back in. (Some of the screws appeared stripped on the computer when I attempted to remove them). The computer case cracked in spots during the removal process. (A few screws were not removable from the frame even with a needle nose pliers. That made it a challenge to pry off the top case). That said, I did manage to put the case together again with the old RAM cards in place. Try as I might, I could not get the cards to seat tightly in their slots. (They were in snugly when first removed). When I attempt to restart the computer, I simply get a series of beeps. Sigh. Do I have remaining repair options? Is the machine dead?

2. Maydon0z macrumors newbie

I think you should open it back up and try to seat the RAM sticks correctly. The beeps indicate there is a problem with the RAM sticks. They could be damaged, faulty or not seated properly. If the Macbook was in working condition before your "operation" it should work fine after re-seating the RAM sticks. Good luck!

In addition you should find those screws and get them out of the casing since they could conduct electric current to different parts of the Macbook, causing failure!!

Do you have an aluminium Macbook or the plastic version?

3. brooklinebiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Maydon0z,
    Thanks for your recommendations. I have a plastic MacBook. In terms of missing screws, I am missing 'only' one (another is stripped, unusable, and out of the machine). I will look for it in the machine but my strong suspicion is it fell on the floor and will never be seen again. :(

4. Maydon0z macrumors newbie

Hi Brooklinebiker,

I looked up some iFixit guides for you on how to replace RAM on a 2009 plastic Macbook. On my aluminium unibody it is a pretty straightforward process. This is also the case for the Unibody plastic version.

I don't know exactly which version you got, but below are two guides on how to replace RAM on both versions:

Core2Duo:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+RAM+Replacement/512

Unibody:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+RAM+Replacement/1666

BTW don't mind the screws if they are not chilling around inside the case :)

5. brooklinebiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Maydon0z,
    Thanks for the links. I have a question. I was recently told that I should try sliding in the RAM from a high angle, as opposed to sliding it straight in. I had tried the latter approach. Do you agree?

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

It's a pretty straight forward process, but it can be daunting because of the way the RAM sticks snap in on top of each other, it's likely that you just haven't got either one or both of your RAM sticks seated properly, once that's fixed your machine should boot fine.