Carrier Can This Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D.Tran11, Oct 27, 2014.

1. D.Tran11 macrumors newbie

Ok so first off, I bought an iPhone 6 from Verizon on launch day and signed a 2 year contract. After a month with it, I decide that I want the 6 Plus. However, with this contract and my 14 day return policy has passed, I can't do it. So my question is, would this work..

Sell my iPhone 6 for approximately 750 on Amazon or eBay since it's unlocked, then pay the ETF to break my current 2 year contract which should be $340 ($350 - $10 every month = $340), purchase a 6 Plus for $300 plus tax and activation fee which should be another $50-$60.

750 (Phone Sold) - 340 (ETF) - 300 (6 Plus) - 50 (Tax/Activation Fee) = $60 profit to purchase accessories such as a glass screen protector and case?

Thanks.

Please feel free to suggest an easier route if there is one!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why you want to pay the etf?
    You want to switch to another carrier or stay with Verizon?

3. D.Tran11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to stay with Verizon. I could simply just buy a 6 Plus for full retail for 750 plus tax and activation fee which would equal to about 800. I figured if I went with my route in the original post, it wouldn't be easier as simply buying full retail, but in the end I'll be winning because I'll have some extra left over money for accessories.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

For one, you would lose your phone number. And two, I'm almost 100% sure that if you close your account, you can't just reopen one the next day.

Just sell it and buy a 6+ at retail. There is no activation or upgrade fee when buying at full retail.

5. D.Tran11 thread starter macrumors newbie

1) Before I terminate my contract though, I switch my line to my old iPhone temporarily. Therefore I won't lose my phone number.

2) I'm on a family plan with 2 other lines so my account wouldn't be closed.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will not be winning.
    You would be wasting tons of time and effort and you will lose your phone number.
    Unless $20-30 is worth all this aggrevation and back and forth then go for it.
    I'd Just sell it and buy another one full price and avoid the hassle.
    Also eBay and PayPal fees on a $750 item would be about $90-100 and also Amazon has fees. You factor those numbers in there?

7. wxman2003 Suspended

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

So you're talking about closing your line? When you close that line, your number goes with it. You can't transfer your SIM or phone number to another line, once you close your line, the number associated with that line is gone with it.