Can this workflow be improved? (iMovie iPad)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by akm3, Apr 6, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I make videos for my judo club. Maximum quality is not my major concern - decent quality and using very little of my time is my concern.

1. Record video on flip mino hd or iPhone 4
    2. Camera connection kit to ipad
    3. Import iMovie. Add preroll and post roll pre made clips from final cut
    4. Add clip specific titles
    5. Start rendering and drive home
    6. Arrive home, hit upload to YouTube, go to bed

Benefit over current process with hv40 and final cut - no fussing with tapes. No editing or importing at home. No time wasted waiting for compressor to encode (taking 40ish minutes currently)

Downsides: significantly lower video quality (and impotently audio) quality over hv40.

Are there any other cameras that will support this workflow? Can you improve it? Cheap ways to increase the audio quality on the hv40, ip4 OR the flip hd mino?

Appreciate your time. Here is a sample video of what I'm doing. I'll be doi g about 4-5 of these a week so low impact workflow is primary. All volunteer obviously not a paid gig :). Im a rank amateur.

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google&rdm=4m4u2u9dh#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=5teZOsH7aQg

2. alph45 macrumors member

as far as i know, imovie supports AVCHD, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, which covers most capture formats for consumer cameras. apple has a complete list of supported camera's.

improve audio by using an external mike. There are a ton of options (google) limited by the specific camera your using. I've seen decent footage from an iphone used carefully, but it's a phone.

i wouldn't use a tape format, particularly if time is an issue. any contemporary camcorder will record to removable memory.

a laptop will be faster than an ipad. you can also record directly to laptop or external disk drive with the right camera (firewire or HDMI out), saving import time.

your link doesn't work.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the advice. iMovie on the iPad is very picky about which camcorders and formats it works with. Right now i only now for sure the iPhone 4, iPad 2, and flip mino hd can get video directly into iMovie on iPad 2.

In this case, I'm not convinced that a laptop would be faster for what I'm talking about. Also it's far less portable and convenient than the iPad.

Mentioned tape because my current camcorder (canon hv40) uses it and which I selected for firewire. It gives great quality and results but it is cumbersome for this desired workflow. (rewind, import, edit, send to compressor, upload). Also I sold my MacBook pro for an iMac so the iPad getting a head start on rendering while I drive home, leaving me to only press "send to you tube" is an advantage. Just going straight from the camera roll in an iPhone to YouTube would be faster but it would be very unprofessional, no pre I'll/post roll clips, etc.....wait a minute isn't iMovie iphone as well? Maybe overcomplicating this,

Shoot in iPhone, edit pre I'll and post oll on iPhone title on iPhone upload on iPhone boom... Hmm....

I'll check out the external mic thanks a ton!