can thunderbolt port drive a display, charge and hub?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machappyboy, Feb 27, 2017.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

Am thinking of getting the new Mac Pro with two ports. At my desk I charge the laptop, plug it into a monitor, and use a USB hub. Can I do all three with only two thunderbolt ports?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Yes!

You can even do this over a single cable if you want:

You can look for either a USB-C or a Thunderbolt 3 hub.

Apple makes a USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter which has a charging port, an HDMI port, and a USB port. Other companies such as HooToo, Anker, and Minix make similar versions, some of which have more ports, which you may prefer. Check them out on Amazon.

If you have the budget, you can get a Thunderbolt 3 hub. These aren't yet available in huge quantity, but will start hitting the market next month from manufacturers such as Belkin, OWC, and CalDigit. The advantage of these is that Thunderbolt 3's higher bandwidth allows for many more (and faster) ports and multiple (and higher resolution) screens.

Note: if you want the true 'single cable' set-up, check the charging wattage capabilities of whatever you buy. The Apple USB-C Multiport adapters can pass through 60W which is perfect for a 13" 2016 MacBook Pro. But third parties are usually less, which isn't ideal.

Alternatively you can use both ports: one for charging, and the other for a USB-C adapter that doesn't offer a charging pass-through, or whose pass-through is low-wattage.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This ^^^^ and Apple sells a version with VGA, too, if that's what you need.

My aunt picked up the HDMI one and, as far as I've heard, it works fine, connecting her charger, external display, and old wired mouse to her 2016 13" MBP.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

I use the Apple HDMI the most - and I got it on sale last year.

5. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member