Can Time Capsule + AEBS do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SirReel, Feb 29, 2008.

1. SirReel macrumors newbie

I currently have one of the newer AEBS (that was supposed to work with Time Machine at the announcement :( ). Anyway, what I am wondering is this. If I were to get a Time Capsule, could I set it up to use 802.11N only, then bridge it using the AEBS set in N/A/G mode? I.e. making the Time Capsule dedicated to N so that the items I have with N can use the extra speed, but then anything that is A/G (work laptop, iPhone, etc.) would be able to connect to the AEBS. Or, would the fact that the AEBS was in N/A/G mode also cause the Time Capsule to only support those speeds?
    Any ideas welcomed.

peace,
    SirReel

2. kolax macrumors G3

Unless your Airport Extreme is set to 'N' only, then when any devices not N connect then the connection speed will drop to G.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes you can. I have a dlink g router that is bridged to my AEBS running 5GHz n only. To avoid interference, choose the 5GHz band for the n only router and compatibility mode for the n/a/g router. You will get 300mbps max from the n router and 130mbps max from the n/a/g one.

4. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Sorry... I don't mean to completely hijack... But i read about this 5ghz earlier as well.

Is N a protcol that uses only 5ghz, while the rest are on a 2.4ghz band?

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If I have an iPod Touch - iPhone - PS3 - MBPro all competing for the wireless then my only options are to drop to 'G' or kick-off all devices besides the N-Enables MBPro?

6. klas macrumors newbie

no, A also can run on 5ghz. N is actually can use either one 2.4 or 5