Can time capsule do this instead?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Can it be used as an external hard drive and not back up just save files like movies etc? And be used as a router? Thanks:apple:

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Yeah just turn off time machine in system preferences. But it's so convinient though to back up your files seamlessly, you set it and forget it. Most of the time you'll never even know it's doing anything.

3. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

How much space would backing up take and at the same time can it be used as an external hard drive?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

backing up takes the same amount of space as is used on your computer (initially anyway). external HD? as in via ethernet/wireless?? yes, if i am backing up over ethernet and i want to access a file that i have saved on there manually - i can do that.

5. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Sounds like a great setup now just have to decide 500GB or 1TB? Probley 500gb.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'd go with an AEBS and plug a USB HDD into it - 1 and 2 TB drives are so much less expensive and it will do the same functionality (I'm setting up mine this weekend)...

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well depends how much you plan on putting on there i guess. your decision lol.

yea i guess you could do that, matter of opinion. you could also get the Time Capsule + add your own HDD's on as well i guess, it just makes it a lot uglier to look at if there is a HD sitting next to it.

i have also found it hard with some external HD's, because it's not a computer dealing with it there are some/few problems.

8. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

the 1tb is over priced but the 500gb is not too bad if you think about it....179.00 for router and 120.00 for a 500gb hdd not bad...i got mine @ a company discount so i paid 259.00 for a 500gb...i dont use it for time machine i use it for my itunes lib.....i have a 320gb wd my book for time machine that i partitioned to 220 or so for time machine and the rest to share with bootcamp

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

One advantage to this is that time machine will not fill up the attached drive with backups. TC can't be partitioned (easily) and there's no way to "save" room on the hard drive for other files--you have to put them there before TM uses up the space.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, of course. It's the same as the airport base station in that regard.