Can Time Capsule extend existing WLAN without access to existing router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seron, Nov 20, 2011.

1. seron macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of adding a Time Capsule to a WLAN but I don't have admin access to the existing non-Apple router. I'd like to put the TC in between the users and the existing router, i.e. I would like the users to connect to the LAN through the TC instead of the existing router.

I'm not sure if access to a LAN port on the existing router will be provided so the TC would probably have to link wirelessly to it. Would it be possible to do this? If so what would be the simplest way?

If not, could I add some device to the TC to bridge or otherwise have it link to the existing WLAN?

The background scenario is that I'd like users to be able to use the TC for TimeMachine without allowing access to the TC by other users on the same LAN. Password security may be sufficient. I'll like them to connect the the TC so they'll have the maximum transfer speed for TM. They also need to access the existing LAN so that they can access the internet and common printer, without having to switch access points.

2. seron thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read up on Time Capsule and it appears it cannot act as a wireless bridge/repeater to a non-apple access point, as discussed in this Apple forum thread.

So it seems I'll need a wireless bridge/repeater to connect to the TC and have it connect to the existing WLAN in client mode. Will that work, or are there better alternative solutions?