Can Time Capsule work as a normal extend hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tmartin0215, Dec 22, 2012.

1. tmartin0215 macrumors newbie

(I'm using the Mac Book Pro Retina 15.4inch)
    I mean, there's a usb port on the Time Machine, isn't it? What if I plug a cable on it and connect to my mac and use it as a normal 1TB external hard drive, is that possible?

or

If there's no internet connection, can I just turn on the Time Machine, and than connect with my mac by wifi network and use as a NAS but of course without internet access?

thanks!

BTW, is it a good time to purchase a time machine? or there will be a new generation recently?

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

The USB port is meant to share external drives or printers on a network, not to connect a Mac to it. You would have to access the TC via Ethernet or wifi.

As for treating the TC as an external...I'm not overtly familiar so I'll leave that to someone else...

3. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

4. Macman45, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In theory, yes, but it's going to be SLOW...You would need to either Ethernet or wifi in...TC's are not designed for speed, but for backups and you are not going to be able to use it for anything that involves real-time work.

A better option? By a cheap external USB HDD and use that instead.

5. tmartin0215 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know, but I just don't want to plug in and out every time I backup my MAC, want that to be automatically.So...

But anyway, if there's no internet accession, can I connect my mac and TC by wifi, notice that if there's no internet connection, is that possible to?Can I still see a external drive in finder?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Consider a Synology NAS if you already have a router.

7. tmartin0215 thread starter macrumors newbie

oops... what's that suppose to meam ? isn't a time capsule can work as a router?
    To conclude, can that work~?