Can Time Capsule Work From Within A Safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipedro, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have sensitive data that I couldn't afford to lose so I have a pretty good backup regimen. However, while Time Capsule is part of the routine, I can't help but realize that in the unfortunate possibility that my MBP were to be stolen from my home, why wouldn't the thief take the Time Capsule too?

My suggested solution would be to put the Time Capsule inside a safe. There are safes that have a power outlet inside so it could run in there.

The problem arises when it comes to wireless transfer from within a 2 inch thick block of steel.

Does anybody know if it's possible to rig a wire to the Time Capsule to serve as an external antenna?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What kind of neighborhood do you live in?

No, I don't think it will work, and I don't think it is necessary.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Doesn't the Time Capsule give you the option of having a wired network?

I'm thinking... depending on your level of expertise, you could drill a tiny hole, just big enough for the headless Ethernet cable. Then once it's in, you attach the RJ45 to the end?

But because there's a hole, you need to workout how to make the 'safe', safe from a fire! Should it ever happen.. cause you don't need flames inside the safe, do you?

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You would have to have a hole anyway for the power cable (EDIT: NVM I see that the OP found a safe with a power plug inside, since that's the case I'd imagine they have safes with ethernet ports too)

To the OP: Why don't you just use the Kinsington lock slot, and lock the TC to something?

5. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm in a nice neighborhood in Toronto but break-ins to exist and I can't afford to allow even that small possibility of losing my data.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Or put it out of sight somewhere ...

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The major problem arises when the TC can't get airflow and will overheat causing you to lose all your data. That is the real problem of putting into a safe, you won't have to worry about wireless signals or power once the TC is a smoldering mess of liquid plastic.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's not going to melt itself, may run a little warm though. As long as it's a big enough safe, you shouldn't be in any danger.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I didn't notice that there was one. Thanks. That helps against theft.

Yours is the best idea. A tiny hole wouldn't be sufficient to allow flames or enough heat to severely affect the fireproof rating of a safe.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Attach a Peltier to the TC (make sure you have the right side)
    and use the SAFE as a giant heatsink. :D

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Maybe it won't melt it as i was being a bit over-dramatic. But if this is something you really want to attempt then it is yours to do what you want. But I can see this going very wrong and the OP coming back saying Help.... TC won't work.

Most electronics that are in a confined space (regardless to how big the safe is, a safe is built to keep the heat of a fire out if so rated but that means that any heat generated inside will be kept inside) do not react well to heat especially a metal disk that is spinning causing a good deal of heat that is subject to expansion and therefore causing the disk to scrape against the write needle that is only mm away causing damage and loss of data.

But hey, it's your TC, let us know what happens. :)

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Backup Online???

Put the most important data on .Me or something similar.

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

How much of your data changes quickly?

How much is pretty static?

What is the cost of down-time to you?

The safe idea could work for time machine, but there are other options to consider.

It's a really good idea to have two external drives to use for off-site backups (maybe weekly). Used with 'SuperDuper' it's possible to have (fairly) recent backups of all your data.

You could then combine this with web-based backup for your newest data (as long as the volume of the newest data isn't massive). Check out products like this:

http://www.jungledisk.com/

Your data is safely stored offsite, encrypted in Amazon's data centre.

Remember that in a fire, a regular safe will not protect electronics/hard drives. Even fire-safes are usually designed to protect only paper, not digital media.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

And only for a specific amount of time as well. Different safe's have different fire ratings. Yes will it keep your TC safe from theft, possibly, depends on how long the burglar has.

Keep in mind as well, you drill a hold into that safe it will compromise the integrity of that safe, fire will find a way into where ever it can by traveling down the cable that goes into that hole.

I still think it's a way bad idea.. IMHO

15. rich.smith macrumors member

Take a look at crashplan.com

If you have access to computers at another location (work, family member, friend) you can setup automatic remote backups for free.

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

17. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

And how safe is that? It's so small you can just take the whole thing back to your house and open it later.

19. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Why are you quoting me? I'm not the one who suggested it. And I agree with you. Don't think the OP had this type of security in mind.

20. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It might be more for the fireproof part than the theft part. But I know that other Sentry safes are able to be bolted down, in which case it would be pretty hard to steal.

21. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions everybody. This is turning into an interesting topic.

I must clear something up though: I don't rely on the Time Capsule as my sole backup... far from it: I'm redundancy obsessive.

My point is that Time Capsule doesn't serve as a good backup against theft or fire because it has to be in the same area as the computer it's backing up.

I hoped to remediate that by finding out if putting it in a safe would be good candidate for a solution, but it does seem improbable.

I guess I will have to rely on my other points of backup and to add a minimal protection against theft, I'll take the suggestion of attaching a Kensington lock to the TC.

If you were wondering, here's my current backup scheme:

[​IMG]

22. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

I was just about to say the same; data is well encrypted so theft becomes less of an issue and you can do both a backup to somewhere under your control and through CP's paid services.

23. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I would find a place to hide the TC up in the attic or under a floorboard. Even outside somewhere, like in a garden shed away from the building, with power, but within wifi range. Or ask a neighbour to put it in their house on the wall closest to your house.

24. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

... and then it turns out that the neighbor was the thief who broke into my home to steal my MBP. :D

25. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

If they want it bad enough, there going too! You could make a hole and fill it with concrete and they will bring a jack hammer!;)

Or just hack your wireless network and get it that way.

If it was me and that important, DVD backup, ext HD backup and offsite backup.