Can time machine back up an airport disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Farani, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Farani macrumors 6502

I have all my media stored on an external hard drive hooked up to my airport. Can Time Machine back up this drive and my iMac?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I copied and pasted this from an earlier response I made not 15 posts below this one...

======================

it's been answered dozens of times, there was/is/still a big hub-bub about it.

Time Machine at this time will only work (guaranteed) with a USB external drive if connected directly to a USB Port on your computer (or another mac system).

there has been some people mucking around with different methods on trying to get it to work on an Airport Extreme, but it's not always succesful and I wouldn't want to backup all that information wirelessly with the possibility that it could easily mess up...

This was a feature in the Beta tests, and I'm sure it was pulled for a very good reason, maybe in the future it will make a return when Apple sees that it works as it should.

In short, I guess I'm trying to say, use the search function and you could have seen your answer ad nauseum.

3. Farani thread starter macrumors 6502

You've misunderstood my question. I'm well aware that they removed the ability to use an airdisk AS a time machine back up drive.

I want to backup a usb hard drive hooked up to my airport. I don't want to use that drive as my time machine drive, I want to back it up.

4. ggt macrumors regular

I'm trying to do the same thing, it's driving me crazy! Have you managed to find a way?

5. johnmdill macrumors newbie

I have the same question

I have the new 11" Macbook Air, and there is no where near the space available on this SSD for my iTunes library. I put my library and the iTunes app on an Airport Extreme usb drive, and it works great for wireless access to my media; however, I don't see a way to back it up via TimeMachine. I may experiment with symbolic links, but I wonder if someone here found a another solution.