Can Time Machine back up two drives to two other drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vroom, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Vroom macrumors newbie

Here's my setup:

Macintosh HD
    Storage
    Macintosh HD (Backup)
    Storage (Backup)

Four identical internal drives. I'd like to have both my Macintosh HD and my Storage drive backed up to their respective backup drives. My question is will Time Machine do this for me? It doesn't look like you can have it back up multiple disks to more than one disk.

2. Vroom thread starter macrumors newbie

A follow up question. If Time Machine cannot do this, what are some highly recommended backup software options?

3. mambodancer macrumors 6502

mambodancer

Time Machine Backups

It looks like you can only have 1 drive designated as a time Machine backup drive. From options though, you can pick and choose which drives you want to exclude from the backup. So, Designating 1 drive as Time Machine in your scenario, you could, through Options...use time machine to backup Macintosh HD and Storage (use options to exclude your Backup drives) or use Time Machine to backup all 4 drives (you don't need to go into the options pane to exclude any of your drives in that scenario).

I backup to a HD connected to a USB hub attached to my Airport extreme router (sort of like Time Capsule). I use SuperDuper to make a clone of my startup drive to an external HD, and I use Apples Backup utility to backup key documents to my dotMac iDisk for offsite backups.

I doesn't appear that you can specify and setup multiple HD's as Time Machine backup drives.

4. Vroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That's what I figured. I've heard of SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner. I'm just wondering if there's anything else that's similar to Time Machine but with more options.