Can Time Machine backup a Airport USB HD ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Philgr, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Philgr macrumors regular

As per the title, is it possible for Time Machine to back a USB HD attached to an Airport Extreme ??

I have a Western Digital NAS drive on my network which is running Time Machine Backups no problems, but i cannot get it to back up the Airport USB drive which holds my iTunes and Movie Library

Advice please

Phil G

2. Philgr thread starter macrumors regular

3. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

are you talking about backing up the NAS to the AirPort Disk using time machine? or are you asking if it is possible to direct time machine to use an AirPort disk?

If the latter, yes, it's entirely possible, the disk needs to be mounted/mapped, and then time machine has to be pointed to it using the time machine preferences. this is the entire premise behind a time capsule.

4. Philgr thread starter macrumors regular

I want Time Machine to backup the airport mounted USB drive to the NAS drive

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yes you can do that

6. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

actually, my statement for backing up to the AirPort disk wouldn't help him in this case.

In this particular case, the AirPort disk needs to be mounted, then go into time machine preferences/options, and remove it from the exclusion list.

it will then be included in the time machine backup whenever the drive is mounted.

7. Philgr thread starter macrumors regular

I have the airport disk mapped and mounted but it is not present in the Time Machine preferences.

I have made changes to the the mapped drive, but the changes are not showing up when entering Time Machine.

Any ideas

8. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

is it included in the above mentioned exclusions list of the options menu of the time machine preferences?

9. Philgr thread starter macrumors regular

10. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Interesting, I didn't realise it automatically added the mounted drive to the exclusions list, I guess it does make sense tho.

To the OP I will try some stuff out later when I get home