Can Time Machine Restore A Parallels VM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SubaruNation555, Feb 11, 2011.

1. SubaruNation555, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend and I are planning on swapping computers and I have a question about Time Machine. The plan is to swap hard drives, wipe them, then each restore from a Time Machine backup.

She uses Parallels to run Windows 7 and Office 2011. She just backed up everything from her hard drive using Time Machine. At the moment there is only one Time Machine backup on that hard drive.

I just wanted to be sure that everything involving Parallels, Windows, and Office are going to be restored properly so that when she boots Windows for the first time on her "new" computer there are no unexpected surprises.

I am curious because her original Windows and Office install disks are at school which is 5 hours away and I'd rather not have to deal with reinstalling that software if I can help it.

I apologize if this has been covered but I did a search and could not find a definite answer. I also wasn't sure if this belonged in the OSX section or not. Thanks.

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Yes. You can open up your Time Machine drive and search it for the VM if you want to make sure it made it.

3. SubaruNation555, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Time Machine seemed to backup everything Parallels related. However, we ended up seeing if we could simply swap hard drives and not bother wiping and restoring. Much to my surprise everything is working properly so far. I hope it's actually that easy.

4. ck256 macrumors newbie

wow - Parallels WinXP VM restore easy

This morning my Windows VM would not boot past the Windows Logo screen.

After a bit of searching I found out there is a Windows.pvm file in the Documents folder (use Finder). This represents the Parallels/Windows system on the Mac.

Simple...
    Open Time Machine
    Select a Backup Folder
    Navigate to Windows.pvm
    Right-click and say where you want it restored to

a few minutes later I'm in business