Can Time Machine use your internal boot drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wakerider017, Oct 22, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

If you have a mac with a single internal drive (iMac) can you partition that drive to use it with time machine?

Or must time machine use a separate drive?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

^Not True, Yes Time Machine can use a separate partition of your internal drive.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you were to use Time Machine on your boot drive, it'd consume more than half your disk space and the only thing it'd protect you against would be if you accidently deleted files yourself... If you think that's a good idea, then, well, you're probably exactly the kind of person who would accidently delete their important files all the time.

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So you can use time machine if you only have a single internal drive?

Why would it consume more than half my drive?

Couldn't I set up a 50GB partition on my (320GB) drive and use it like that.

I don't so much want to back up the system... but back up word files, .jpgs, music and stuff...

Just so I can go back a month and pull something out.

6. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

It wont consume half your drive, only the size of w/e you made the partition.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I meant if Time Machine were used to backup your whole system, like it is designed to do, that would require designating a drive at least as large as you are backing up.

8. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

Time machine is indefinite backup even if you had a an 80 GB hardrive tech you could use terabytes with time machine.

But for the simple fact of saying just going back a couple of days or undoing something you just did a small partition would work great for that.

Time machine will realize how much space it has to work with and work corresponding to that size.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Forget about whether TM can be used on the boot drive. WHY would you want to. That totally defeats the purpose of a backup. If your boot drive goes down, and TM is on the boot drive, all of the sudden you have no back up. Ext. drives are not expensive, and having a reliable back up is invaluable.

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

While I fully agree with what you're saying, it could still be useful for recovering lost files caused by "bad luck", such as files deleted by mistake, overwritten documents or ones corrupted by bugs in applications.

It won't protect against hard errors, but at least against most soft errors.

I would for example find that useful on a laptop when I'm on the road. If the main drive goes down, I won't have the resources to fix the laptop anyway, but if I just delete a file, it could be recovered. A bus-powered 2.5" drive may be small, but it still isn't convenient to bring along.

11. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Exactly! I have only ever had a hard drive fail on me once in my entire home computer experience. And that was about 5 years ago.

However I weekly mess up files, lose them, or accidently delete them...

I am not trying to back up my entire system to do a restore, but I am just trying to back up critical files and folders.

:)

12. BEASTMAN macrumors member

this is what I was looking for. Whenever apple releases an updated macbook or an ultraportable I plan to buy one, and I do not want to have to carry around one of my external hds for TM. Thanks

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Agreed. I don't see why anyone would want to use a partition on their primary drive for backup purposes.

Completely defeats the point.

14. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

What if you were moving files around or playing with something and accidently screwed with it or deleted it?

Wouldnt it be nice to revert that file back?

15. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Yes, but I agree that it defeats the purpose of backing up. You can get a 500GB external for less than $150. Imagine how pissed you'd be when your internal hd crashes and you've lost EVERYTHING. Like Steve said, "We're all ticking time bombs"...

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, yes it would.

Or you just not do that.