Can TimeMachine be Set to Run for Certain Time Periods?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D-Man18360, Sep 11, 2008.

1. D-Man18360 macrumors member

I understand the concept behind TimeMachine, and that with it working 24/7/365 it will give you everything you need for system backups.

But can it be set to only run at scheduled times? For example, if I'm away during the day does the backup USB drive need to be kept on for TimeMachine to run? And would turning off the computer negatively disrupt the service in any way?

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It will just back up when the drives connected,if it's always connected once an hour,if not then it will back up shortly after connection.I back up two laptops and try to let it do it's thing at least once a day and it's working out fine.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There is a free cool little program called Time Machine Scheduler that adds the functionality it sounds like you are after.

The thing I most like about it is that I can tell Time Machine to not bother backing up at night since my machine will be on but no changes will be happening.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I just let TM do it's thing. It doesn't back up when it's sleeping, so I'm not getting 24 backups a day and I don't have to download anything or schedule anything. Maintenance and sweat free.