Can too large a folder cause issues and effect performace of my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SLR2009, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, I have a Quad Core Mac Pro which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I have 8 gigs of memory. I havve a 180 gb folder filled with important data within my Home folder. This folder has many subfolders within it. The folder is on my startup drive and where I have Snow Leopard installed. Can too large a folder cause issues with my mac and effect performance? Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

As long as you have at least 10-20% free space on your hard drive, it shouldn't effect performance.

3. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

As far as I know, performance is affected by large amounts of data on your desktop.
    With a large amount of data on disk with the system performance degradation is not observed.

4. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

The total number of files/folders in a directory is not really going to ever be an issue, but the number of files/folders at a single level of a folder is going to give the Finder fits when it tries to display that folder (and the desktop is always displayed). To try to give an example:

a folder with 1,000 files divides amongst 100 sub-folders is less problem than

1,000 files in a single folder

The numbers I am using are probably not going to cause problems, but scale them up a bit and you get the idea.