Can Trim be enabled on MBP using Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

If i install Windows on my MBP and install a SSD, Can trim be enabled?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, but only for the windows partition, it will not do anything for your OSX partition

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

trim will be enabled on the windows partition, on the OSX partition you are going to either get a mac SSD from apple, or install trim enabler

4. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

So if i buy the Sammy 470 , I just boot to Windows whenever i need to perform maintenance on it?

5. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Do you consider TRIM to be maintenance? TRIM in Windows is different than TRIM in OS X, meaning that it only effects the Windows partition. OS X has its own TRIM (when enabled) that only effects the OS X partition.

Some newer SSD's have a Sandforce controller, which has its own TRIM replacement (drive based garbage collection) that works much better in the fact that you don't need software based TRIM, so it performs this "maintenance" regardless of what the OS supports.

If you don't use Windows and TRIM is enabled on the Windows partition, then there are no files on that partition that are trashed unless you are using it.

6. yui4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I enabled TRIM on my samsung 470 using the patch and I've had no problems.

7. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

As mentioned earlier, you'll be able to perform maintenance only on your Windows partition. Not your OSX partition, as TRIM is an OS based command.

8. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I will reorder the Sammy 470 for my MBP with Lion.