Can u take a jailbroken iPod touch back to the apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jake020793, Nov 1, 2009.

1. jake020793 macrumors newbie

My iPod touch 2g is playing up. It's the second generation and jailbroken. When I go on safari it crashes on keyboard and goes back to home. I want to take it to apple store to sort out. I've had it since July and I got the box and everything so I assume it's still under warranty. Can I just take it back? Or will they point out it's jailbroken.

Thanks

2. lostless macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking voids your warranty, so no apple will not help you. Sounds like a software glitch and the only way to fix it is to restore the firmware, which is what apple would do even if you didn't jailbreak.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

+1

just open itunes and press "restore" if it still does not work, bring it back apple wouldn't know that its jailbroken :rolleyes:

4. nufanec macrumors regular

Heh...

Yeah, you can take it to them. They will restore it to a non jailbroken state and it will work. The same as if you did it at home as it is a software issue with your jailbroken install or your user data. Restoring to a known good version of the software and setting it up as a new device will fix that.

5. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

+2 to the restore!! They would just laugh at you if you took it to them jailbroken!

6. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

My guess is that it is crashing BECAUSE its jailbroken if you restore it, I doubt the Apple store will find a problem. Then you will break your iPod it will crash again.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I took back an iPhone JB'd before. No probs, but ofcourse i didn't have crazy stuff on there that would call attention...but that was on accident.. restore before going back in

8. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Can apple tell if a phone has been JB'd after being restored?

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

they have an idea, but not positive. They can pull up info logs of some sort...