can u use more than one account in ichat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluedoggiant, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

can u use both ur .mac and AIM in ichat? also, if u dont use .mac, wat features will u lose in .mac?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, you can, but it's a pain in the butt to switch between them (IMO).

Click on iChat | Preferences and then the accounts tab to setup additional .Mac or AIM accounts.

You can only be logged into one account at a time, though.

If you want another chat client that will let you be logged into multiple accounts at the same time, google for Adium.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

thanx, do u lose features wen u use AIM instead of .mac?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I didn't notice any features lost.

As far as I can tell, .Mac simply uses AIM for chatting, except your screenname has "@mac.com" on the end of it.

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

but if u want to do desktop sharing and the other person doesnt have a mac?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Desktop sharing via iChat is coming in the next version of OS X. AFAIK, you can't do that with the current one.

The only way I know how to share my desktop now is via System Preferences (and the other person running a VNC client).

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

omg, thanx ALOT!!!! in the begining it asks u for either .mac or AIM, after u select one, can u goto preferences and set up and account like yahoo? i know u can do that with gooogle, u just click on accounts and select jabber, and if thats possible, can u be signed into both ur .mac or AIM, with another account that youve made after u did the sign up for ichat?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, lets make this simple

1. iChat only officially supports the AIM protocol and Jabbar (.mac is not a separate chat network, it uses the AIM protocol)
    2. There is an unofficial workaround using Jabbar that will allow you to connect to Gtalk (Google)
    3. No matter how many different accounts you have in iChat, you can only ever be signed into one of them at any one time.

You should check out AdiumX. This is a chat client for OSX that supports all major chat protocols and allows you to be logged into many accounts simultaneously. The only downside is that it doesn't support audio/video chatting.

9. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

got it, thanx