Can upgrade After 10.6.3 reinstall

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smckechnie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. smckechnie macrumors newbie

Good Day All.

I have searched the web and this forum and I cannot find a solution to this little problem, so I hope some can answer.

I have a 27" iMac that cam preinstalled with 10.6.3 I ran the 10.6.4 combo update on it to get my awesome Track Pad to work. All was working well and with this being my first mac I downloaded and installed a whole lot of rubish whilst I was playing around with it. So I decided to do a complete reinstall of the system using the original 10.6.3 disks that came with my system.

I went into the disk utility on the boot menu and erased the HDD and proceded to install the OS, all worked well and had a clean install of 10.6.3, now here comes the problem, when I tried to install the Combo update it would not allow me to it is complaining that the HDD wont support it.

It would really be great if someone could assist. I really miss my track pad.

Thanks inadvance
    Scott

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

You erased and partitioned using the Mac OS Extended (Journal)?

3. simsaladimbamba

And what happens, if you run Software Update? There should be a 10.6.8 download waiting for you.

4. smckechnie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys.

Yes I partitioned and erased using OSX journaled. I have to use the self install version as I am located in South Africa and the internet is so eratic and expensive that the built-in upgrade feature does not work so well as it does not resume.

To me it almost seems like it has kept the 10.6.4 from the previous install somewhere, as the trackpad does still move the cursor but not multitouch and it does not show up in the setting either, the version shows up as 10.6.3.

Hope that helps more.

5. smckechnie thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I downloaded the 10.6.3 - 10.6.4 upgrade and that worked well, how ever the combo update did not want to reinstall, I will avoid the combo updates in future.

Thanks all.