Can upgraded Macs be bought in Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mansonsoul, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Mansonsoul macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I hope you will be able to help me, I have done many searches and not found any information about this.

I am going to buy a Macbook Pro this week. I want the 2.4ghz version, but want to upgrade it with the 250gb hard drive and with iWork and Applecare.

I live in the UK and am going down to London next week to visit friends, so I thought I would buy it at the Regent St store. But I just want to check, can you buy upraded (non-stock) macs in the stores, or will they just tell me to buy it online, in which case I'll buy it today?

Thankyou for your help, I have been reading these forums for a while and they have really helped me decide on my first mac.
    Cheers,
    Paul

2. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Unlikely?

Not sure if policy's different in UK, but in the states any customized builds have to be ordered at apple.com (other than memory upgrades).

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Non-stock (ie. Built to order) Macs are only available at the online Apple Store…

At most they will install extra RAM for you — but you'd be mad to buy RAM at Apple anyway… :eek:

4. Mansonsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou

Thanks for those replies. Well, I think I will order it today then. I am getting 4gb of RAM from Crucial, so that saves me £55 or so.
    It says 'Ready to Ship: 4 Days' , so does that mean it will be posted to me in 4 days and I will receive it at some point after then, or does it mean I will receive it in 4 days, if you see what I mean!

Cheers,
    Paul

5. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

They do keep certain basic BTO Macs in stock for things like drive sizes and glossy/matte screens, but probably not for preloaded software. I'd call them and see if they have any in, they are pretty good with this sort of thing.

6. reflex macrumors 6502a

They'll probably be able to order a custom build for you, though, and you'd then pick it up at the store when it arrives there.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can ask, but in the US, they will tell you to order customized version on line, probably won't be different in other parts of the world.

However, certain stores do keep a version called the ultimate version with maxed out specs (MacBook Pro, iMac), not sure about Mac Pro or MacBook.