Can UPS hold my iPhone til launch?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

So, like a lot of the people on the forums, my pre ordered 3GS says it will arrive tomorrow (17th) on UPS.com, but does UPS have the ability to hold on to the package before launch?

Someone brought this to my attention, but i would think they wouldn't have the power to do so. When it ships...it ships?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but do you think they will?

I don't think its fair to hold what already shipped.

4. mb2008 macrumors regular

Yes, all carriers can hold....this is how Amazon and B&N guarantee Harry Potter books. I know from the local postal carrier they had the last book a day in advance.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Fair or not there are often contractual obligations to do so on new product releases, etc.

That's why if a local retailer accidentally puts out a copy of a new movie a few days before it is supposed to be sold, they won't be able to sell it to you. When they scan it the system tells them not to do it because it has not been released yet.

6. actorkid macrumors 6502

yes they have the power to hold it...and i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they did

the release date is june 19th, not june 17th...apple are usually pretty strict with that type of stuff.

look at it this way...now you KNOW that there won't be any complications causing you to get it after the 19th

anyways...I'm hopeful for you all and truly wish that you get your iPhone tomorrow....i just wouldnt get my hopes up if i were you

7. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yes, its pretty obvious by the other replies. Apple only does this so they can guarantee you get it on the 19th. They make sure the items are at a local facility before then.

9. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm gotcha.

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm a little surprised if this is true that they didn't enter a delivery date of the 19th in their tracking system then. Seems like they should be able to force the date. But mine currently says the 18th. And Apple's page did say "delivery by the 19th" not "delivery on the 19th" when I ordered the phone.

11. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats exactly why i have some hope of it arriving tomorrow. We'll have to see.

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

How is it not fair? The company ships it early to ensure that you get it on launch day. For this you all think you should get it earlier than launch day, give me a break. Maybe in the future Apple should just ship on launch day then you could whine about that.

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

It's not happening. They'll hold it until the 19th.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

No, then they'd whine that Steve Jobs didn't personally bring it to their house, hook it up to their computer and show them how to use it.

15. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Apple rather get a product to you late than early. Seriously.

16. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

UPS can deliver your package whenever it feels like it. They are free to ignore apple completely and deliver it sometime next week, though they probably risk incurring applewrath if they do.

But certainly there is precedent for holding preordered items until a release date.

keep your panties on, you'll get it a week ago. Two weeks ago none of us were this antsy about anything, lets all try to revert and just have a little patience and sanity, yes?

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Well they do have a contract with apple that I am sure covers all this, so sure they could do that, but they would be breaking the contract.

Apple is the customer for UPS here, not the end user. The end user has no agreement or relationship with UPS in this case. So whatever terms Apple came to with UPS will dictate what happens.

It seems pretty likely that packages were shipped early to get them in place to guarantee a friday delivery. At this point it seems unlikely most people will not get their phone delivered until Friday.

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

They can hold them

They will hold them

They have the Power to Hold Them

It is Fair......

You purchased knowing that Friday is the date..........

19. SatanLover macrumors member

I work for UPS, customers can request a delivery date, and they do all the time. You aren't getting your iPhone early. The local facility will hold it until Friday if they get it early.

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

+1

Now would everyone QUIT ASKING!

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Apple has probably seen the reports on Engadget and already notified UPS.

22. K3mp macrumors 6502

In my opinion instead of being mad about not getting the phone early just be happy if it comes early. It is not that big of a deal. On top of that, why would anyone think that a shipping company has no control over when they deliver items? Now, if your phone comes on the 20th, that is a whole other story.

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Off topic, but I wonder if Apple has people read tech blogs to see what they complain about, what they like, what they talk about, etc about Apple as a company.

24. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Well, yea, they can. Wouldn't be the first time a delivery place has held a package and won't be the first.

The place that shipped it give you a date (probably Apple, and probably the 19th). So unless they hold it past that date then they are 100% fine with what they're doing.

That's the way I see it. My UPS says it'll be delivered tomorrow but I'm not really expecting it too and wouldn't be mad if it did. I mean, it's for a product that doesn't release until Friday... I'd just be happy that I got it early.

25. jaltamirano macrumors regular

im with you... people expected their iPhones with todays delivery date... but where are they LOL... UPS can and will hold all iphone shipments.. the tracking delivery dates are not accurate!