Can Verizon Edge Save My Friend Money?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cagcody, Jun 17, 2014.

1. cagcody macrumors regular

I've posted once before, but I have a different scenario and really need help. My friend wants to get the Galaxy Note 3. She has the option of either going in on a 2 year contract or the Edge plan. The family plan she is on has 12GB of data, so they qualify for the $25 off a month. If she just goes with the 2 year contract, she has to pay $299 for the phone, a $30 activation fee, plus the taxes, which are around $30 here in our state. So that brings it to about $360 and some change. Now, if she does Verizon Edge, she has to pay the first months installment (given the full price of the note is 699, divide that by 20 months, and it's $34.99), taxes on the whole phone, which is $68, and then over the course of the other 19 months, she gets the $25 discount which only brings it to technically $9.99 a month. So adding up the $34.99 (1st month's installment), $68 (tax), and $190 ($9.99 x 19), it brings it to about $293. She doesn't really want to upgrade after the 60% is paid off, as she usually keeps the phone for about 2 1/2 years. I'm just wondering if my math is right and it is a better route. Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

So in addition to anything up-front (and taxes), she's responsible for any monthly amount over the $40 that her current line costs per month on the family plan?

3. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

I was just in a Verizon store last week, and supposedly you don't have to pay the taxes upfront on the Edge plan anymore. They told me they are part of the increased monthly price. At $35 x 20 months ($700), that doesn't seem to reflect the taxes being included, though. Even if I was told wrong, she is better off with Edge. Not only is it cheaper, she doesn't have to pay all at once. You keep most of your money a little longer.

I have a 10GB plan since we have 5 phones, an Ipad, and a MiFi on our plan, so I see all of us migrating to Edge as our contracts run out. My wife is already on it with a Gold 5s. We started before they switched to 20 months. It costs about $4/mo for her 5s. I was pretty happy with that.

4. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

She just thinks she needs the 2 year contract because she doesn't want to upgrade sooner. I told her even if she didn't upgrade, it still comes out better in the long run.

5. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

Well, you never know what might happen in 2 years. Coverage could get crappy in her area or another carrier could get better.. Needs change sometimes. Nice to know she could walk away after 12 months without having to pay a dime. And I always get upgrade fever, so I like being able to do that each year with minimal investment in the phone I have.

6. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

She doesn't care to upgrade, but I like being able to. We are on the same plan and I took her upgrade last fall for the 5S. I wanted to do Edge now, but the upgrade date from when I upgraded falls under her line instead of mine. So I can't do the Edge because it has to stay with that line. My line is available for upgrade on 6/30, but that is the one she is going to use. If she agrees to do the Edge, she can get hers since it qualifies for early edge upgrade, granted she would have to give them her phone (Since the upgrade I took from her still shows on her line, and with Early Edge you have to give them your phone), which is cracked, so the bill will get charged the $200 for not giving them the phone. But on the 30th I can upgrade to Edge, get a new phone, not have to give them my iPhone, sell it and pay the $200 for her line and then have $ left over.

7. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

I talked with a sales rep online and they said that the tax is figured on the bill and not included in the monthly price. :( Wish it was though. That'd be terrific.